- Measures: personality at work
- Suitable for: recruitment, identification of high potential, development, team building
- Average completion time: 25 minutes
- Available in over 40 languages
Dimensions is an online personality questionnaire for assessing key behaviours at work.
It has been developed with an emphasis on combining scientific rigour, valuable information and ease of use – for the candidate, HR professional and line manager.
With just a single completion of the questionnaire by a candidate, you can interpret the data for an extensive range of applications. It provides a wide range of user-friendly reports to help make important talent decisions about your people.
The Dimensions questionnaire measures personality across three broad domains:
- People and Relationships – concerned with an individual’s style in handling relationships at work, how comfortable they are communicating with and influencing others, and the extent to which they are supportive and effective in involving other people.
- Tasks and Projects – examines an individual’s thinking style and how they prefer to manage tasks. It includes how an individual analyses information and likes to work with concepts and ideas, as well as how they prefer to plan and organise their work.
- Drives and Emotions – looks at how an individual deals with their energies and emotions. It covers how an individual prefers to cope with stressful situations, how adaptable they are and what drives them to perform at work.
How it works
The Dimensions questionnaire is completed online, and includes a series of statements about behaviour at work (there are 160 statements in total). The respondent has to rate each statement, indicating how true the statement is about their behaviour at work, or in other relevant situations.Example question - click to enlarge
The statements are grouped into blocks of four. In each block, they are asked to rate each statement on a scale indicating whether the statement is 'completely untrue' to 'very true' of their behaviour.Tied response - click to enlarge
In each group of statements, the respondent should avoid giving the same rating to more than one statement. If they give the same rating to more than one statement, they are then asked to rank the tied statements in order of which is the 'most true' of their behaviour.
The Dimensions questionnaire normally takes approximately 25 minutes to complete.
Dimensions can be used across all sectors and functions and at different levels within an organisation. It can be used in a number of ways across the entire employee lifecycle:
- Recruitment: Dimensions helps organisations improve the accuracy of their hiring decisions by giving them objective insights about an individual’s likely behaviour at work.
- Identification of high potential: providing an objective and unbiased way to identify candidates with the highest potential, Dimensions helps you to improve and manage your talent pipeline and provides a comprehensive view of potential ‘derailers’.
- Assisting with personal development: a single completion of Dimensions enables the data to be used throughout the employee lifecycle. Core strengths and development needs are easily identified providing a comprehensive development profile and feedback report.
- Team development: Dimensions data provides individual and group-based information illustrating the relative strengths and weaknesses of the team as a whole.
- Coaching and leadership assessment: whether assessing for leadership potential or developing existing leaders to become more effective, Dimensions provides deep insight, including factors which can lead to possible derailment.
There are a wide range of benefits to using Dimensions in your recruitment and development processes.
- Speed: Dimensions takes approximately 25 minutes to complete, which is quicker than most other work-based personality questionnaires - without compromising on scientific rigour.
- Multiple-use of the data: from a single completion, recruiters and talent managers can query the data and run different reports to help select the right person for the job, build teams, identify potential, plan for succession and develop people.
- Role profiling: Dimensions has an inbuilt Role Profiling Wizard, enabling the measurement of candidates against the requirements for a specific job, a lateral role change or assessment for potential to progress to a more senior level.
- Customisable: we can map Dimensions to your organisation’s competency framework, generate specific reports and brand the assessment process to reflect your corporate style.
- Easy to integrate: Dimensions can be integrated with applicant tracking and HR systems, thereby providing a seamless volume recruitment proposition.
- Pedigree: developed to exceed the most rigorous standards by Roger Holdsworth – one of the world’s pioneers of employee assessment. Our in-house team continue to develop it to ensure it remains as one of the most cutting-edge assessments available.
- International: Dimensions is currently available in over 40 languages, making it an ideal choice for organisations conducting global assessment programmes.
There are twelve report options available in Dimensions. All reports have been designed, trialled and developed to be easy to understand and highly graphical – providing you with a clear illustration of results and their implications.
Please click on the hyperlinks below to see sample reports for the individual outputs, or alternatively download a Dimensions full sample report (PDF)
Measures 15 personality traits, plus three response style factors, designed to easily map on to commonly occurring competencies used by organisations.
|Narrative Report||Automatically generated narrative text describing the possible implications of the respondent’s personality and behaviour at work.||
|Behavioural Type at Work Report||Used for development purposes, this profile provides feedback on an individual’s personality type in the work environment.||
The individual’s report identifies their typical way of behaving in a team. Results from up to 12 individuals can also be combined to provide a Composite Team Profile, providing considerable insight into a whole team and supporting team development.
|Composite Team Profile||
This report allows the Dimensions Team Reports for a range of individuals within a team to be examined collectively. The Composite Team profile examines the extent to which the team and individuals within it have a preference for acting in each of eight team roles, essentially the key areas of activity that any team have to undertake to achieve its goals.
|Sales Profile||This profile applies personality styles to the context of sales. The Sales Model breaks down the sales process into eight key stages and suggests the respondent’s likely level of comfort in each area.||
|Role Match Profile||This profile takes the Dimensions data for an individual and compares it to the requirements of a specific job, which have been pre-defined using the Role Profiling Wizard. This provides an indication of the likely fit of the candidate to the role.||
|Interview Guide||Based on the requirements of the job as defined in the Role Match Profile, the guide provides dynamically based interview questions to support recruitment interviews.||
|Leadership Derailer Report||This report looks at eight factors known as derailers. These are intrinsic personality factors that may derail an individual in times of pressure.||
|Development Profile & Feedback Guide||To support individual development and coaching, the profile and associated feedback guide provides an in-depth view of the respondent’s typical personality as measured by the 45 Dimensions sub-indicators.||
|Potential Report||Combining Dimensions and Elements data, the respondent’s results are mapped onto the Potential Model. The profile and accompanying narrative helps users to identify an individual’s strengths and development needs in relation to leadership potential.||
This report provides competency ratings against the Dimensions competency framework with behavioural indicators. It has been designed for Line Managers and HR Professionals to make recruitment decisions.
|Competency Interview Guide||This report provides competency based interview questions against the Dimensions competency framework. The Interview Guide can be used by Line Managers and HR Professionals to make recruitment and selection decisions.
The Dimensions Competency Framework Sort Cards can help profile a role and highlight key competencies and interview questions.
|KFLA Competency Report||
Based on the Korn Ferry Leadership ArchitectTM (KFLA) Global Competency Framework, this report has been designed for line managers and HR professionals to support talent decisions such as internal succession and individual development.
|KFLA Competency Development Guide||
This guide is based on the Korn Ferry Leadership ArchitectTM (KFLA) Global Competency Framework to help support the development of individuals either working alone, or with a facilitator.
|Elements Report||Where a candidate has completed any of the Elements ability tests their results feed in to the Analytical scale in the Potential Profile and can also appear as a standalone report. Commentary is also provided on the relationship between their ability test scores and aspects of their personality.||
|Candidate Report||This report provides a summary of results for the candidate. The report can be generated separately from other Dimensions reports and can be made available free of charge for the candidate to view once they have completed the assessment. However, we recommend that you run through the report with the candidate.||
We are also able to customise standard Dimensions reports to reflect the competency framework of your organisation. With many organisations having their own behavioural frameworks to support talent management, this customised approach yields great returns as users engage with the information more readily. Once the mapping is complete, a report unique to the organisation is developed including a customised profile chart and written narrative, with the option of competency-based interview or coaching questions driven by the results.
We can also design a simplified Role Match Profile and Interview Guide for use by line managers, to enable effective roll out across your organisation.
Find out more about our customised assessment options.
These cards are designed to help you identify the abilities and competencies required for success within a role. By understanding what leads to success, you can then ensure that your recruitment process screens out unsuitable applicants and selects only the best talent for the role.
The Dimensions Competency Framework has been designed for line managers and HR professionals to support with recruitment and development activities. The Dimensions Competency Framework includes 20 competencies required for success in the 21st century workplace. These competencies have been developed based on decades of research into workplace behaviour and are applicable globally. The competencies are grouped under three domains relevant to workplace behaviour.
To find out more about the Dimensions Competency Framework Sort Cards, and to order your pack, please contact us.
Dimensions is available in over 40 languages. Download our language availability factsheet (PDF) for the full list of languages covered. If you can’t see what you want from our published list of languages please contact us to discuss.
Please contact us for details of our flexible, no-nonsense pricing structure for all online assessments.
We can map your own competency framework onto Dimensions for robust and objective measurement. This allows you to produce customised product reports.
Other options for customising your assessments are also available – such as using your brand identity and language in assessment and reports, capturing bio-data specific to your organisation and integrating with your existing applicant tracking and talent management systems. Find out more about customised assessment options.
Dimensions is available to anyone with the British Psychological Society (BPS) Test User: Occupational, Personality certification (formerly known as Level B accreditation) or equivalent.
If you are already qualified to use personality questionnaires then our complimentary Dimensions Conversion workshop will acquaint you with everything you need to get started straight away. Depending on the size of the organisation that you work for, you may find our Dimensions Conversion workshop for Small and Independent Consultancies more beneficial.
For anyone without this qualification, we provide the Talent Q Test User training course. This course is fully accredited by the BPS, and teaches you all you need to know to implement Dimensions within your organisation including administering the assessment, analysing and interpreting the results.
Find out more about the Talent Q Test User training course.
Once you place your order (including confirmation that you hold the appropriate qualification), your access to Dimensions is immediate. You will receive unique login details to the assessment system by email.
Our customer service team can take you through the system online so you are up and running as soon as you need to be.